Where a superb day on the mountain comes to an end
The sun is just dipping behind the Montafon mountains and it's slowly becoming very cold. I long for an old-fashioned room, where it is wonderfully warm and comfortable to sit. Preferably somewhere that also cooks Austrian food, because the fresh air and the exercise have made me hungry.
Montafon locals and guests come together here
The choice isn't a difficult one: Stoba 7 offers just this. A pub for those who love traditional cooking and just want to relax in the evening in comfort. A meeting point for those who want to reflect on the day on the mountain, chat, enjoy themselves and have a laugh. A place for meetings, high-spirited discussions and good food.
Tastes like grandma's cooking
I browse the menu: classics, such as "Wiener Schnitzel" (pan-fried veal cutlet), "Tafelspitz" (boiled veal or beef in broth) and "Kaiserschmarrn" (sweet shredded pancake), are listed alongside "Keesknöpfli" (cheese noodles) and "Seesaibling" (Arctic char). I decide on the best known dish in the valley: "Sura Kees" (local sour cheese) with "Hirschschinken" (smoked venison ham) and wild herb salad.
Cook the wonderful Stoba 7 "Kaiserschmarrn" for yourself
I have saved a little space for desert in my stomach for the crowning moment of the day: I order "Kaiserschmarrn" that is so good, I want to know this very second how to make it. I hope it tastes as good as it is in Stoba 7!
- • Ingredients: 4 eggs, 100 g sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla sugar, 40 g each of coarse-grained and cake flour, 140 ml milk, 1 pinch of salt
- • Separate the eggs
- • Beat the egg whites at a medium speed until they are white
- • Gradually beat with half the sugar until creamy
- • Mix the remaining ingredients with a whisk until smooth
- • Fold in the beaten egg whites
- • Pour the mixture into a hot pan brushed with oil
- • Sprinkle with raisins if desired
- • Bake in a pre-heated oven at 70°C for around 20 minutes
- • Remove from the oven, turn out and tear into two equally-sized pieces using two spoons
- • Sprinkle with sugar and leave to caramelize
- • Douse with a shot of rum (40%) and flambé
- • Serve with homemade stewed plums or apple mousse
Stoba 7 is directly opposite the Sporthotel Silvretta Montafon, on the ground floor of the Sporthotel Chalets. Reservations on +43 5558 8888 901.
- Winter: daily open from 4.30 pm
- Warm dishes: 5.00 - 9.30 pm, Desertmenu until 10.00 pm
My event at Stoba 7
After visiting, I now know how I'll plan the next company Christmas celebrations, as the Alpine-style pub can also be reserved for events of any kind. I can just see it now: punch and chestnuts on the decorated terrace, local music and a delicious Christmas menu. The restaurant has space for 70 guests.